5 Things I'm Thankful For

Monday, February 6, 2012

I'll write more on the purpose of this blog later. Today, a list of things I'm thankful for. I have a tendency to catastrophize (too social worky?). You know, one sorta bad/inconvenient/not-so-good thing happens, and then something else, and then another, and you find yourself focusing on these not-so-good things, which can become very overwhelming. To avoid these shenanigans in the last week, I've been trying to think about good things, things I love. To be very clear, life is good and I have no right to complain. Things are merely...eventful...with a baby who is newly mobile and a husband who is newly not so mobile. So let's get on to that list already! 5 things I'm thankful for (in no particular order):

1) Coffee: Sometimes I want to do a little happy dance in my kitchen, in the morning when I take the first few drinks of hot coffee with the perfect amount of creamer in it. Oh coffee, I love you so much!

2) New pajama bottoms: I got new pajama bottoms that are so comfy and so long that I will be able to put them in the dryer, what what! I know most companies have started making regular pants with longer lengths, but for some reason it's taken awhile for those companies to realize tall people also want jammies that are long enough. Love them! And thinking about getting another pair. What? I like to be comfortable.

3) The weather: Okay guys, lean in a little closer, because I don't want the universe to hear me, but we've had an unusually mild winter here in OKC. It has gotten cold, but lately we've had some days that feel just like spring and it's glorious. Always amazes me how much a little outside and sunshine will do for my mental health.

4) Family and friends: As always, we are beyond blessed for our family and friends. So thankful for Fr. David, who met Jaron at the hospital before his knee surgery. So thankful for Jaron's parents who stayed with us last week to help with a long list of tasks after his surgery. So thankful for my parents and Alice, who provided food, ice, and phone calls to check in on things. So thankful for all of our friends and family who have called and texted to check on Jaron. This is a short and incomplete list of the help we have received. Thank you all!

5) Emmitt: I know I said the list was in no particular order, but clearly I saved the best for last. Did I mention Emmitt is crawling? He's also pulling up to a stand on anything he can. He also wants us to walk him around all the time, you know, hold his hands up and walk behind him as he practices steps. He appeared on the verge of crawling for about 2 months (seemed in no hurry at all) and once he started, all of sudden it's been a flood of new things he tries each day, and it's so neat to see! I could go on and on about things I love about Emmitt, but I'm only going to add one more thing. He's been saying dada for a while now, and every time we'd ask if he could say mama, he would just grin real big at us. But he finally started saying it yesterday! A few times, I felt like he was actually saying it as a way to distinguish me as mama, but mostly he's just been practicing this new sound that he's discovered. Either way, I die. One of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard.

Happy Monday, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I love it all! Can't believe Emmitt said Mama. Go E! Couldn't agree more about the coffee. Every morning it makes me miss you guys! This house is so empty. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Grace! Such a great idea, listing things we're thankful for...I'm thankful for YOU! Coffee would be a close second haha
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I am lucky. You are a great writer in addition to everything else you are amazing at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace! I found this through Cait's blog and SO glad I did. I love reading about you, Jaron and Emmitt. =)

    ReplyDelete

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger