So you say it's your birthday?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Isn't this interesting?  My dad and my godfather, Dennis, went to the same medical school in San Antonio, but Dennis was a few years ahead of my dad and they didn't know each other then.  But when my dad started his residency at the VA, here in Oklahoma City, Dennis was the resident on the first team my dad was on.  Is that how you say all of that?  Dennis would often recall that the very first thing he knew about my dad was his birthday, even before my dad had told him his name.  Ha, I love this!  Well, he's also the same person who has promoted the "birthday month" in our family.  And who doesn't love that?!

Today is his birthday and I hope it's great!  I got to run with him this morning and I guess as a little birthday treat, the universe provided a beautiful breeze and even a bit of a chill in the air.  As I walked up the sidewalk to our front door and watched my dad start to run back to his house, I thanked God for him, and his life, and his birthday, and that he's my dad.  Happy Birthday, Buppa!  Alice sometimes calls him that.  It's cute, isn't it?

My mama put together a lovely little birthday gathering for my dad on Sunday, and her house looked awesome!  She's done some new styling and arranging in her living room, and I'm hoping she lets me post a few pics up here soon.

And speaking of Dennis.  He would listen to a song he loved over, and over, and over again.  Back in the days of cassette tapes he would even record only one song for the whole tape, or at least one side.  My dad will do this too, with the listening over and over.  I get this from them.  Jaron thought it was weird when he discovered I did this.  But now, he does it too.  So all that was to explain that we're a weird bunch.  Also to tell you that the song I'm obsessively listening to over and over at this point in my life is "The Cave" by Mumford & Sons.  It makes me happy, and sometimes choked up, and sometimes like I can take on the world.  Funny how music can do all that, right? 

A Happy August 14th to you all!  But especially to my dad :).  It's only fair, guys.  

2 comments:

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger