Summer Wrap Up, Part 1: A Story

Thursday, September 6, 2012

We have had a fun and busy summer, but I am ready for Fall!  Fall is very possibly my favorite time of year, because the weather is cooling, yet it's not frigid, and there are so many fun activities, sporting events, and celebrations that take place.  Also, who doesn't love Fall clothes?!  I mean, I'm sure some people don't, but those people kinda seem silly.  Okay, I'm sure they're very nice people, but I am just trying to make the point that I love Fall and the clothing involved, and I kinda think you should too.

So I've been thinking about our summer and in doing so it got me thinking of past summers, and I have a story to share that is a doozy (or at least to me it is).  In high school, I went to South Padre Island with Kristin and her family three times during the summers.  Kristin and I have been reminiscing about each of these vacations, and it makes my heart ache a bit for Padre and that time.  The first summer, I got super, duper, red as a lobster sunburned and I think her family had no idea what to do with this wacky, white girl.  Still had a great time though, and I did better the next summer, but I still got burned.  SO the summer before our senior year, I was determined to get a tan and not burn!

Things were going as planned.  We had strategized.  I was putting on lots of sunscreen, but still slowly tanning.  Then on maybe our third day there, we went horseback riding and afterwards we grabbed some delicious cheeseburgers and fries and headed back to the hotel.  My stomach had started hurting during the horseback riding, but I didn't think it was a big deal, because I've always had a tendency towards stomach aches.  Back at the hotel, the pain was getting worse and I was starting to feel really yucky.  I threw up, right there in our room while Kristin was eating the above mentioned delicious cheeseburger- sorry, girl.  I called my dad and he asked me about my symptoms.  The pain had started in the middle of my abdomen, around my belly button.  My dad just mentioned that if the pain moved down towards the right, it may be appendicitis.  He also said that if I pressed in and there was pain on the rebound, that was another indication for the appendix.  I don't know how much time passed, but sure enough the pain moved down and to the right.  My dad has said since then that at the time, he thought, "I knew I shouldn't have told her that, it's just the power of suggestion, blah, blah, blah."  Yeah, that's how he talks for this story.  Finally, we went to the local fire department/emergency station and they decided to drive me 45 minutes to the hospital in Brownsville, TX.  I was in serious pain, but I was also a bit scared and uncertain of what was going to happen, so I was pretty quiet at the time.  They took me in an ambulance and Kristin rode in the front with the driver.  When we arrived at the hospital, she told me that the driver had said to her, "I don't think it's appendicitis.  I mean, grown men cry with that."

I got an xray, which I passed out during and came back to the room, greeting Kristin with some crazy hair, which was apparent by her face.  But the important part of the xray is that as it turned out, I did have appendicitis.  Sorry Mr. Driver that I wasn't acting like a hysterical man when I was in a great deal of pain.  If I wasn't a lady and I wasn't writing on my family friendly blog, I might tell you to suck it.  But I am a lady and I am writing on my blog, so I will kindly say, you were wrong.  Sir.

Poor, poor Kristin's family for having to deal with my high maintenance self! But I'm so glad that they did, because Padre holds cherished memories for me.  And even though I spent the remains of that vacation in the hospital, it was overall a wonderful trip.  I had enjoyed the beach and food and family and friends for a few days, I got a pretty good tan (for such a white girl), and my dad flew down to be with me in the hospital.  While we were there, he read the first Harry Potter book to me.  Not too shabby of a deal, huh?  Also, the appendectomy gave me a stellar scar, which initiated the awesome nickname, "Scar." Although for some odd reason, that name only lasted through my senior year, and only among a small group of friends.  Kinda feel like we should bring it back.  Who's with me?

The following picture was from the first year I went to Padre, and got the burn (1998).  You can see the shocking burn in the picture.  Also, you can see that the beach does to my hair what it does to Monica Geller's.

2 comments:

  1. As soon as I started reading I KNEW this was leading to the story of the SCAR!!! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep, the scar! Hope you're doing well! You're getting so close to having another little one, huh? SO exciting!!

      Delete

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger