Happy New Year!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Umm, can you even handle the cuteness from the above picture?  I really don't think you can.  And for that I'm so sorry, because I'm sure all you want to do is get through this silly post so you can get back to your night cheese.  So, I'll move on.

Happy 2013, friends!  Quick question for ya... What do you think about New Year's Resolutions?  Are you for them or against them?  You know, me, I like 'em.  And not because I always make a list and fully complete each resolution and succeed at all my goals for the year.  Far from it really.  I, like many I believe, make a list and often find at the end of the year that I didn't complete what I had originally hoped for on some of my resolutions, while others fell entirely by the wayside in about February.  But, a few years ago, I decided that doesn't bother me.  I always appreciate this somewhat official opportunity to make new goals for myself, and try to remind myself that they will most likely need a renewed effort many times throughout the year.

My resolutions were a little different this year.  I didn't have my usual: Workout more consistently, eat healthier, learn to cook, learn to sew....  While these are still goals I have, my resolutions for 2013 deal a little more with how I treat and care for myself and others.  

One resolution I'll share with you is to read more.  For a variety of reasons, one of which being that I'm a slow reader, I don't read many books.  This is very different from the rest of my family members and I have always felt a little like I'm shortchanging myself from my lack of reading for pleasure.  I have several books in mind that I want to read this year, but I had one specific book planned for my first.  I tried to get this book on iBooks so I could read it on Jaron's new iPad mini on our way home from Santa Fe, but it wasn't available.  I moved on to another book on my list: Help, Thanks, Wow:  The Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott.  I'll tell ya what, some may say it was just a coincidence, but I feel confident that reading this book first was a real treat from God.  It was exactly the book I needed to read after the last few weeks, to wrap up 2012, and to jump start 2013.  It was very short and I finished it yesterday, and Jaron reminded me on more than one occasion that it didn't count towards my resolution because it was still 2012.  I don't even care, Jar.  It was good for my soul.

I want to share one part from Help, Thanks, Wow with you.  Lamott is talking about the "pit crew" of people in our lives with which we have shared so many experiences:

"Every so often you realize that without all of them, your life would be barren and pathetic....  The marvel is only partly that somehow you lured them into your web twenty years ago, forty years ago, and they totally stuck with you.  The more astonishing thing is that these greatest of all possible people feel the same way about you--horrible, grim, self-obsessed you.  They say--or maybe I said--that a good marriage is one in which each spouse secretly thinks he or she got the better deal, and this is true also of our bosom friendships.  You could almost flush with appreciation.  What a great scam, to have gotten people of such extreme quality and loyalty to think you are stuck with them.  Oh my God.  Thank you."

Yes.  Yes.

Wishing you all a blessed 2013, with your pit crew close by every step of the way!

2 comments:

  1. Can't. even. handle. his cuteness!! Love him so much! I am going to get that book, it's settled :) Happy New Year to you my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you finish it? Did you love it? Happy New Year to YOU!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger