Halloween, Hooray!

Monday, November 4, 2013

I took a nice, long blogging break, huh?  Actually, I didn't think it was that nice for most of it.  Jaron got me a new blog template for my birthday and I really love it, but it has taken a while to get the kinks worked out.  It made me realize just how much I rely on this silly blog as an outlet.  But here we are, back in business.

So Halloween.  We have a Halloween tradition around Old House Hill that started the very first year we lived in this house.  Our neighborhood gets a ton of trick-or-treaters.  No, like a TON!  It's really pretty great.  And even though we didn't have our own kids the first few years we were here, my sister and brother in law would bring their boys, and my parents and different friends here and there would also come, and we'd have a wonderful celebration.  And since that first year, Jaron has always made chili, and we watch movies, like Ghostbusters and Young Frankenstein, and this year Hotel Transylvania (or as E calls it: "blah blah blah").  With the addition of our kiddos, Halloween just gets better and better.  And we were so happy to have Jaron's mom join us for the good times this year.

Jaron and Emmitt dressed as firefighters, and Cora and I were kitty cats.  When I walked out with the nose and whiskers drawn on my face, E's face lit up; he was pretty impressed.  I sure love seeing that kid's face slowly curl into an audible, pleasantly surprised, smile, as he evaluates something and then gives it his approval.  My boy sorta seemed to "get" Halloween more this year, and he was all about the candy, but as is his norm, it took him a bit to warm up to everything.  He walked up to several houses with Jaron, but just remained serious and in a daze for a while, even when he saw his favorite Milligan sisters.  Once his cousins arrived, he was ready to really do this thing, and the grandmothers took the boys out for another round of trick-or-treating.  We took Cora out with us for a short time and she loved the wind blowing in her face and all the people walking around.  She was smiling and cooing the whole time.  Maybe she's less like me and E, in that she doesn't become overwhelmed in big crowds.  More power to ya, sister!

You may notice the large inflatable in front of our house (see above picture).  For weeks Jaron has been like, "I really want some inflatables for in front of our house!"  And I'm all, "Okay, whatever."  Also I was thinking to myself, "what does that even mean?"  After coming up short in all the stores he checked out, because of course they already only had Christmas stuff, Jaron was fed up.  Late, on the Sunday night before Halloween, he confessed that he had bought an inflatable haunted house type thing online because he "was tired of our house not looking festive."  Aaaand he did it again... smiling ear to ear from the things this man says and does.  But the haunted house was a large dose of awesome, especially since it too made Emmitt's face glow with delight.  He kept asking Jaron to carry him and run through it, laughing and screeching with joy and exclaiming, "Do it again!"  Hope your Halloween was equally happy!

7 comments:

  1. LOVE the costumes, LOVE the inflatable, and LOVE that jaron and I are on the same page. I too am sick of our house not looking festive. It's like we don't even care about holidays anymore, what is wrong with us. But looks like you all recovered big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin not care about the holidays... it's NOT possible!! You ARE the holidays... well, I don't know what that means, but you get it. Just wait for Christmas. You always ROCK Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Your new template was the first thing I noticed! LOVE it! After spending an hour (not succeeding) at changing a minuscule thing on mine, I appreciate your efforts! And who doesn't need a festive inflatable in front of their house?! Your family is looking so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny! Thanks for the kind words, friend. And I'm right their with ya, bc any changes I make to the blog take me forever. As you may have noticed, all my photos are slightly to the right, which seems like an easy fix, but it surely has not been and it's kinda making the obsessive compulsive part of me crazy. I'm working on getting over it ;). I get your blog posts through my email and I keep meaning to get on your actual blog to tell you how happy I am to see your recent posts. You're always so inspiring and encouraging, funny and wise, ever so stylish, with beautiful pics and beautiful kiddos. Hope you all are well!

      Delete
    2. I won't tell you about how it took me two hours and ten youtube tutorials later to change a very minor thing, only to realize upon publishing the change that I accidentally deleted several parts of the formatting of something else! I blame the unfiltered wheat beer and left-over halloween candy stash!

      Delete
  3. Loving SO many things about this post, specifially (and in no particular order):
    - The fireman jacket. Tears of nostalgia welling up remembering my little guy wearing it.
    - THE INFLATABLE!!! YES!!! Good call, Jar. Trust me...money well-spent. Because you can just pull it out on any random day and throw those kids in there and wear their little hineys OUT!
    -The pic of Cora and L.U.C. (Little Uncle Chris)?? I die. I'm voting for a blog post dedicated solely of these two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, the fireman jacket is all thanks to you and Chase!! It's been a big hit, as your stuff so often is. And excellent call on getting the inflatable out later! I really probably could do a whole post with C and LUC... there were some other hilarious pics from Halloween. Miss you and love you guys!

      Delete

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger