The Table

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Week 2-Analogy

Eating together at the dinner table is like a breath of fresh air.  Such a simple thing: dining at the table, as a family.  Yet for us it has not come easy.  Let me explain with a little background.  

I don’t cook.  You don’t cook?  What does that even mean?  Can you make hamburger helper?  These are questions I get when it comes up that I don’t know how to cook.  I know it sounds weird, but I really don’t cook.  I’m super insecure in the kitchen and when I’m at friends’ and they ask me to cut a vegetable, I worry they’re judging me with my obvious lack of knowledge on the proper technique of their request. 

My husband, Jaron does cook.  He cooks very well in fact, so it’s never been a huge issue that I don’t.  Until recently.  In the last few years we’ve added two little ones to our family, Jaron has gotten busier at work, and I have started staying home with our kiddos.  It became apparent that the most efficient plan would be for me to cook dinner for us.  But it’s taken several attempts to make it happen.  Meal planning, learning to cook, and figuring out how to do it whilst entertaining the littles has not been my best thing.  The truth is I really want to be able to cook.  I want to be able to serve my family in that way.  I am in complete and utter awe of those who cook most nights, or any nights at all really.  I bow in your general direction.  

A few things happened that made me feel like I might actually be motivated enough to tackle this cooking bit, so I decided that 2014 was the year!  I’m not sure if any of those other motivators would have really worked, but that's okay, because the ultimate motivator was my son.  My boy, Emmitt is 2.5yrs old.  He’s such a neat kid and I am absolutely crazy for him.  He’s no stranger to the terrible twos and has occasional outbursts, but overall he has always been easy going and content.  He is affectionate and sweet with his little sister, Cora who is 7.5mos old, and works hard to make her laugh.  I think his cool personality made us forget that he’s still such a little guy himself, and we recently realized he needed more focused time with Mom and Dad.  He had seemed to adapt so well to having a new sister, but I think the change in our family dynamic caught up with him.  He’s been having a rough time lately… hitting, terrible tantrums, and standoffish with me and Jaron.  My heart aches for him.  It has been one of those times in life where we must stand back and re-evaluate.  Jaron and I have been working hard to help Emmitt feel the deep and constant love we have for him. 

One major component of our plan is more meals at the dinner table.  This is something we’ve been wanting to make a habit for a long time, but our thrown together food always felt too informal for the table.  But we’re finally doing it.  And you know why we keep coming back for more?  Because of Emmitt.  Oh, if you could see that shaggy-haired, blue-eyed boy during these dinners at home, just the four of us.  He looks so happy and proud to be sitting with us at the big dining room table.  We pray together, eat up, and talk about our favorite parts of the day.  Cora is usually content rocking in her swing, nearby the table, so Jaron and I put most of our focus on our boy.  And this has really motivated me to cook!  I am eager to be able to provide the meal that we’re enjoying together at the table.  

We will still have nights of pizza or frozen dinners, we’ll probably often have mismatched plates, piles of stuff at the other end of the table, and an occasional freakout from someone, but those things don’t matter, because all I can think over and over in my head the last few weeks is, “Eating together at the dinner table is going to revolutionize our lives!”  Is that a little dramatic?  Well, that’s how big and significant it has felt. We have lots of work ahead of us, both in helping Emmitt and in my effort to cook, but knowing the wonderful fellowship that awaits me at the table with my most cherished ones, is the best catalyst for success that I could ever ask for.  It’s like a breath of fresh air.  

3 comments:

  1. I love this Grace! I totally agree, anytime we sit at the table I feel like a more sane human. Have you ever heard of the 5 ingredient cookbook? I think it's by a food network chef that also has a show. That may have some things to try without expecting too much of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I adore Emmitt :) what a sweet boy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the sweetest for your encouraging comments. I so appreciate them, friend. And I am going to look into that book for sure! I need all the help I can get :)

      Delete

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger