Celebration

Thursday, September 4, 2014


I've had celebration on my mind lately.  Maybe it's because we had some fun birthday parties this summer or because we have birthdays and anniversaries coming up this month.  But I bet the main reason for this is that one of my very favorite gals just started a fabulous blog and business dedicated to the idea of celebration.  You should check it out, because it really is wonderful.  Kristin has worked crazy hard on it and I'm so proud of her, as well as inspired and motivated by her dedication to pursue her dream and to celebrate life, even when it's hard and messy a lot of the time.

I needed her reminder to celebrate life... the big things and the little things.  It's an idea I've thought about often since starting this blog.  This space often prompts me to make the time together with friends and family count, even if many of the moments in between here and there aren't sunshine and rainbows.  This space reminds me to open my eyes to how much beauty there is around me.  I struggle sometimes with what I write on here though.  I don't want to come across as flippant, like life is easy and happy all the time and we should all be grateful for that.  The reason I post pictures of silly happenings and say over and over how grateful I am is to remind myself of it... to take a step back and be filled up with these kiddos and this community that challenge me, and celebrate with me.  I also don't want to come across as whiny when I do mention the real and gritty times, because I know my struggles pale in comparison to the suffering in the world.  These constant questions are what often keep me from writing consistently.  I'm an over thinker and I always want to be staying true to myself: honest about my life, the good and the bad, yet respectful to your life, the good and the bad.  

But I keep coming back to the fact that we have to celebrate.  We have to find ways to enjoy those things that bring us happiness.  I think it's a form of hope, a way to take stock of the good.  It doesn't mean we're ignoring the bad, but it means we understand that we all need a little fun (and donuts) every once in a while.  (And now, with Kristin's help, you have an endless amount of ways to celebrate your wild and crazy life.  You will want to wrap yourself up in her website.  You'll see what I mean.)

One night last week, Jaron and I got to eat out, sans kiddos, on a week night.  Who the heck do we even think we are, is what I'd like to know?!  On the way home, it started to rain, after such a stifling hot week.  Those two things demanded celebration.  Ridiculous celebration (see picture grid above).  In one of the pictures, it appears that there may be a "raise the roof" type situation happening.  I can't be certain that it's happening, but I'd be lying if I said I had never made this motion in Old House Hill before.  Jaron really loves it, what can I say ;)

I really am so thankful for this little ol' blog and the people who join me here.  You are certainly cause for celebration in my life.  Now everyone go get a donut to celebrate Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Thank you for the sweet words friend. I love you! And I love that you keep it real :) I think all of us need more REAL people and influences in our lives that make it okay to embrace the messy, crazy, fabulous life this is. Thank you for being a wonderful reminder! And those pictures... I die. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for YOUR sweet words! Love you!

      Delete

 

Old House Hill All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger